Parish Reports to Bishop-in-Council - December 2016
January 15th, 2017
Parish reports to BIC in December 2016.
_Christ Church, Tarraville (above) was constructed in 1856 to the design of local architects and surveyors John HW Pettit and George Hastings, it has been in use since that time.
Christ Church at Tarraville near Yarram Victoria is an extraordinary example of a well resolved and particularly finely detailed Victorian Carpenter Gothic church. The building is of technical interest for its construction system which utilises heavy timber framing notched to accommodate infill planks laid horizontally and grooved at the edges to take iron tongues. The significance of the building is enhanced by its extraordinarily good condition and high degree of intactness.
The interior of the church is characterised by its sparse and plain appearance. It is simply finished with milled timber lining boards to walls and ceiling, the heavy timber framing is expressed on the interior in a similar manner to the exterior of the building. Walls and ceiling are painted matt white with a dark brown painted dado.
Christ Church, Tarraville is believed to be the first church constructed in the Gippsland region and is amongst the earliest surviving churches in Victoria._